Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Post

Hymns are balm to my soul. Poetry and music joined.  Today's hymn is over 230 years old, and it both soothes and convicts me, as any hymn ought.  Today was a strange church service for me.  The long-serving Pastor of our church is retiring and today was the 'farewell liturgy.'  And I do use the term 'liturgy' very loosly, since we aren't high church.  I've never out-lasted a Pastor in a church I've attended.  I've moved so much and attended so many houses of worship that I'm gone before the Pastor is.  This is a wholly new experience for me, and for The Husband, who is at the first meeting of the Pastoral Search Committee right now. 

But, the hymn - and the Him -  provides continuity for the congregation, and for me:

And Can It Be that I Should Gain


1. And can it be that I should gain

an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
 
3. He left his Father's throne above
(so free, so infinite his grace!),
emptied himself of all but love,
and bled for Adam's helpless race.
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!

Text: Charles Wesley, 1707-1788
Music: Thomas Campbell
 
Hear it here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Wesley!

And I can imagine it's extra strange when the departing pastor is your dad. May God guide the new pastor committee. I will be praying for them.

-D*

Anonymous said...

Anne - we'd like to send you an invite to our DIY Network. Please let me know if I can send you some info.
Best,
Liz
liz@customerforce.com

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite hymns... Wesley certainly had the certainty of the Savior's love and spelled out my innermost feelings as well! Blessings on you and the whole congregation as you seek your next pastor.