Monday, March 2, 2009

Only lacking a fiddler (on the....)

Continuing where I left off, with nearly a whole house, but quite drafty and drifting with snow...

We didn't quiiiite make our self-imposed deadline of getting the roof on before snowfall. Which, although certainly not prohibitive, does make building a bit trickier if you have to SHOVEL OUT YOUR HOUSE before buckling down to work. Still, our intrepid hero soldiered on and worked around the drifts to put a roof on the house during December 2008 and January 2009. He discovered that a friend of a friend owns a truss company (I love the networking aspect of small towns!) and while eager to buy locally when possible, Bob was also pleasantly surprised at the price, service and adaptability of the company. Witnessing the trusses being installed was exciting. And, while I trust The Husband's judgement and skill, I can't help but feel a bit of wifely anxiety when watching this: Especially when I went inside the house, only to discover what was going on up close:

That's Bob on a ladder on the makeshift second floor of the house, securing the first roof truss. It's so cold out that I had to stop taking pictures after awhile because I couldn't feel my fingers. And I had gloves on. Oh -- and did I mention that there was snow and ice everywhere inside the house?
No one died in the making of this roof, fortunately. And, after two days of assistance from Johnny, Chris, Bob's dad Jim, and the boom truck guy, the house looked like this:

December 17, 2008
Looks like a house, eh?
---------------------------------------------
Join us next time, when snow stops accumulating in our house.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

You have brought back so many memories! Our crew was building in the dead of winter last year- shoveling snow out everyday until they could get the roof on and running out to the bonfire in the yard every hour to get their hands warm again. I love seeing the progress of your log home. It's going to be beautiful!!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I would have had a heat attack.