So, to accompany the endless loop in my head, I present:
The things that make Log Girl Anne happy
- Freshly laundered sheets on the bed
- Making my husband laugh
- Discovering The Girl asleep with her wee copy of Thoreau's Walden on her chest. (Which she can't read)
- Being in my as-yet-unfinished log house and imagining our move in day
- Early morning at The Lake when it is still and quiet
- An American flag flapping on its pole on our front porch
- Delicious words
- A full gas tank
This last piece of delight leads me to confess that I have favorite gas stations. I don't often get to fill up at these pumps, but it surely does make my day when I have that opportunity. I wrote about the one in Gabriels, NY earlier in the winter. I filled up yesterday at my other favorite, which I only discovered a month ago (despite driving past it for YEARS).
There's just something about pumping first, paying later, flipping the lever and watching the numbers click around instead of digitally change that makes me... well, happy.
Look at that old-school beauty.
If you're ever driving through Brainardsville, NY, look for my friend. And pick up some bait and beer while you're at it.